Showing your car some TLC isn’t just about taking your car for a was over the weekend. It’s something you should do every day when you drive it. If you are mindful of your driving style, your car will reward you with very few breakdowns and costly repairs.
Here are a few considerations to keep in mind daily:
- Do not over-rev your car’s engine at start-up. This is a sure-fire way to depreciate your engine, especially if outside temperatures are low.
- Accelerate gently and slowly when you start on a drive. The most wear & tear to an engine and drive train occurs in the first 10 – 20 minutes of the engine being operational.
- Warming the engine by letting it idle in the driveway is not a smart idea. The engine doesn’t operate at its peak temperature, resulting in incomplete fuel combustion, soot deposits on cylinder walls, oil contamination, and ultimately damaged components.
- Put less strain on your engine and automatic transmission by shifting to neutralat red lights. Otherwise, the engine is still working to push the car even while it’s stopped.
- When turning your steering wheel, don’t hold it in an extreme right or left positionfor more than a few seconds. Doing so can damage the power-steering pump.